Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Making Cupcake Toppers


Hello Everyone and welcome to another Copic Oz Tutorial!  Today I'm going to use Flourishes new Pinwheels and Popsicles stamp set to create Cupcake Toppers!!  Such fab projects to add a splash of fun to any celebration!!

Firstly I've started by stamping the ice-cream in Memento Tuxedo Black onto X-press It Blending Card and laid down a base colour of E50.




Then add some shading with E51.



Deepen the shading with E53 and lightly blend with E51.




I like a lot of contrast, so I've deepened the shading even more with E57, once again blend with E53 and E51.




I've made this a strawberry ice-cream and laid down a base of RV00.




Add some shading with RV02 and lightly blend with RV00.




Deepen the shading with RV04 and lightly blend with RV02 and RV00.




For your yummy cherry on top, start with a base of R32.




Add shading with R35.




Deepen the shading with R37.




For more contrast add some R39 and lightly blend with R37, R35 and R32!  I don't blend my reds until I've laid down all the colours.  Reds have a tendency to bleed, so I find it's better to leave the blending until the end.  If you do find the colours start to bleed, at least with this image I'm going to cut it out for the finished project! ;-)




So now that we have a fabulously sweet strawberry ice-cream, what are we going to do with it??  Cut it out, grab a toothpick and a couple of notched tags the same size! 

Stamp the sentiment from Flourishes' Pinwheels and Popsicles onto one and the glue the two tags together with the toothpick in between.  A strong glue like X-press It Clear Gel Glue is perfect!  Fussy cut the ice-cream you've coloured and pop it up on X-press It Foam Tape!



Want to step it up a little?  Why not take a Popstick, create a rosette, a notched tag and a couple of decorative circle shapes!



Glue the popstick and circle to the back of the rosette.  Attach the decorative circles together, fussy cut the ice-cream and stamp the sentiment onto the notched tag and assemble!




Why give your party that added extra fun by creating your own fabulous cupcake toppers and wow your guests (not to mention having a lot of fun preparing as well)! 

I hope you've enjoyed today's tutorial, thanks for visiting and happy colouring!!

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Nice work Kathy! Lots of fun to be had with both the cakes and the toppers, party planners unite!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy - I may have commented on your personal blog on these, but worth saying again - totally adorable - these make me want to race home and make cupcakes just so I can try decorating them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy - I was very inspired after reading your post on these cupcake toppers to give them a go myself. I made some for my daughter's birthday cupcakes... see some photos on my blog: http://alshandra.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/cupcake-toppers.html

    ReplyDelete